Ortonville Michigan 48462........Ortonville, a northern rural village in Oakland County, was founded in 1848 by Amos Orton, who built a dam across Kearsley Creek to furnish water power for his sawmill. The town was platted in 1866 and incorporated as a village in 1902. It is located about halfway between Pontiac and Flint.
Today the Village strives to maintain its historic charm while adjusting to the pressures of modern day development. It still serves as the commercial center for Brandon Township and a portion of Groveland Township. A short walk down the streets of the Village will give you an idea of what the Village used to look like. Included among our historic buildings are the "Old Town Hall" where a variety of community meetings still take place, a jewelry store that served as the community's drug store for over fifty years, an insurance business housed in a building that held the first post office and the first telephone exchange in the Village, and of course, Amos Orton's Grist Mill.
According to the census of 2010 the population of the village of Ortonville is 1,422. The population of Brandon Township is 15,175, and nearby Groveland Township is 5,476.
Surrounding towns include Goodrich to the north, Oxford to the east, Clarkston to the south, and Holly to the west.